At a time when the world is burning, the climate deniers in the Turnbull-Abbott Government are wrecking our climate and locking us into a future dependent on coal.
Increasingly, Labor looks like it might cave and support the 'National Energy Guarantee', a policy that will strangle investment in renewables.
Send a message to Malcolm Turnbull, Tony Abbott and Bill Shorten, that the wrecking of our climate and the destruction of our way of life is not an option for Australia’s future.
At a critical moment for acting on climate change and the future of our planet, Malcolm Turnbull has caved in to Tony Abbott, releasing an energy policy that is worse than doing nothing and that keeps coal burning for longer.
Australia is one of the sunniest and windiest countries on earth. Renewable energy is cheap and clean. By embracing it we can save our planet and create jobs in the new economy.
Instead, the National Energy Guarantee fails in 5 key areas:
- It puts a handbrake on state-based renewable energy targets;
- It allows emitters to use shonky overseas carbon offsets;
- It has no mechanism to plan for the orderly retirement of coal-fired power stations;
- The planned emissions cuts from the electricity sector are far too low;
- Will send a signal to the rest of the world that Australia doesn't want investment in clean energy.
Pollution cuts in the energy sector are some of the cheapest and easiest to make, but the target set by the government is so low that it places an impossible task on other sectors of the economy like agriculture and transport.
In Australia we have gone from having world-leading climate legislation to a policy that supports dirty coal. The rest of the world is way ahead, but we are moving backwards. We need strong climate and energy policy that treats climate change as a serious threat and looks towards a clean energy future.