Make Melbourne Plastic Bag Free
Why is this important?
It's time for Melbourne and Victoria to join with the ACT, Northern Territory, South Australia, Tasmania and a significant number of communities and countries around the world in banning plastic bags. Plastic bags have a devastating affect on our environment. It's time we took action here in Victoria.
- Unless we take action, by 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish (by volume)!
- Australians use more than 4,000,000,000 plastic checkout-style bags per year
- Australians throw out more than 7,000 plastic bags per minute
- Lightweight plastic bags take around 1000 years to break down
- Plastic bag litter kills tens of thousands of birds, whales, seals and turtles every year
- Greens MPs Ellen Sandell and Adam Bandt are working with Nina Springle MP (Greens waste spokesperson) to ban plastic bags, microbeads, and unnecessary plastic packaging in Victoria, and to introduce a Container Deposit and Refund Scheme for bottles and cans
For more information about Greens MP Nina Springle's campaign to make Victoria Plastic Free click here.