CARING FOR NATURE
Our incredible country and oceans are dying. Our rivers are drying, our forests are burning and being cleared, and thousands of species including our koalas are facing extinction.
First Nations people – who have been caring for and protecting country for millennia – are losing their totems, and important sites are being damaged.
The Liberal and Labor parties take millions in donations from corporations who are damaging the environment. Whether it’s coal & gas fracking, logging, or big irrigation corporations – they have too much power, and do too much damage.
We can turn this around by establishing a $6 billion Nature Fund, which will create thousands of jobs to restore and protect the biodiversity of our forests and lands, and make our rivers and lakes swimmable again.
We have the next decade to make a difference. If we bring people together with sufficient resources and the best environment laws we can start to face this challenge.
So far, the billionaires and the big corporations have been able to weaken our environment protection laws, but with our growing movement around the country and your Greens in Parliament we will be able to push and establish a strong environment watchdog and invest in protecting nature.
Adam and the Greens will:
- Stop the extinction crisis through setting a goal of Zero extinction by 2030 and investing in a mass greening and restoration program, to ensure we are protecting habitats for our native animals and plants
- End native forest logging to help reduce fire risk, and transition workers into sustainable plantation forestry
- Make the Yarra swimmable by 2030, so we can create new jobs and boost tourism
- Increase funding to the indigenous ranger program to make use of millenia of knowledge while creating long-term sustainable jobs
- Enact strong, national laws to end animal cruelty, protect the welfare of animals, and hold corporations and individuals to account