Please note: expressions of interest in the 2017 Stronger Communities grants program have closed.
Do you have an idea to make the Melbourne community stronger?
Expressions of interest are now being accepted for the 2017 Stronger Communities grants program for the federal electorate of Melbourne.
Melbourne Stronger Communities grants can provide funding for small infrastructure projects that deliver social benefits and strengthen the Melbourne community.
How does it work?
- Grants of between $2,500 and $20,000 are available for local community projects.
- You have to spend the grant on infrastructure or capital costs. Non-capital spending like salaries, recurring costs, or events is not eligible.
- The Stronger Communities grant can cover up to 50% of the total project cost. You must match the grant funding for the project, either in cash or in kind.
- Applications take place in two steps: first, expressions of interest are made to Adam Bandt MP. Second, following community consultation, selected applicants are invited to complete their application process with the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development.
Who can apply?
- not-for-profit incorporated organisations
- local governments
- trustees with responsibility for a community asset
- Note: your project must be located within the federal electorate of Melbourne. (You can find your local electorate at the AEC website.)
What can the grants be used for?
Grants can be used for capital purchases and projects. Projects must be scheduled for completion by 30 June, 2018.
Spending that is not associated with a capital project (e.g. events, salaries, ongoing programs) is not eligible for a Stronger Communities grant.
Projects that promote social inclusion, encourage community participation, or address existing social need in the Melbourne community will be prioritised.
Examples of previous successful projects include:
- fit-outs of community meeting spaces and neighbourhood houses
- computers for community homework club
- solar panels on community centre
- childcare centre play equipment
- canteen at sports field
- equipment for community food programs
- new training spaces for community-run employment programs
- community garden facilities
- community mural
If you have an idea and you're unsure whether it qualifies for a grant, contact Adam's office to discuss it with us.
How to apply
- Submit an expression of interest here by 5pm on Thursday 17 August, 2017.
Further details and full program guidelines are available at www.business.gov.au/scp.
For information in person, Adam's team will host an information session for community groups on Wednesday 26 July, 4pm-5pm at 296 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Please click here for details and to RSVP.
You can contact Adam's office on 9417 0759 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss the program or your idea with us.
Submit an expression of interest here.
17 July 2017: Expressions of interest open
26 July 2017: Information session hosted from 4pm-5pm at Adam's electorate office (296 Brunswick St, Fitzroy); please RSVP here
17 August 2017: Expressions of interest to Adam Bandt MP close
30 August 2017: Projects identified by community consultation program will be invited to formally apply to Department
28 September 2017: Applications to Department close